Our congregation began meeting in May 1869 in the homes of the first Methodists in Crete. In 1874, the corner stone was laid for a church on the site of the present Crete Power Plant. It was a one-room brick structure, with a seating capacity of 150. It was named "Grace" in remembrance of a little girl who belonged to the D.J.F. Reed family. The family was one of the first builders of the church and the little girl had passed away. The building was dedicated in 1875.
The one-room brick church, which had served the first Methodist families, became unsafe and in 1887 it was decided that a new and more spacious church should be built. The site of the church was moved to our present location and was dedicated on March 13, 1888. Over the ensuing years, a pipe organ, air conditioning, and an education wing were added to the original building. Numerous updates have been made to modernize the building and improve accessibility.